What is Dacron used for in the upholstery trade

What is Dacron? Dacron, in the upholstery trade, is also known as Terylene, Kodel, Poly wrap or polyester, Cushion wrap, Holfil, Fiberfill and some others.

While there are some differences between these products, they are all used for similar purpose in upholstery padding. They are used to give non-compressing wrap/finish to cut foam shapes or any uneven areas. Dacron is not prone to crushing and is manipulated to fill in imperfections in a cushion once the fill is inserted. This product is also very sanitary. Unlike some of the old horsehair products that are occasionally found in antique furniture, there is noting in it to support molds, mildews or any kind of parasitic life. Dacron will retain their given shape better over time than down fill or some lower density foams.

Dacron, when used on foam to be placed into cushion, will give it a rounded or softer look. It is used on only three sides , top, bottom and front edge. It must be glued on the foam to prevent it from getting out of place and brunching up. Cushion wrap also works like underpad for carpet does. It will keep the final finish, carpet or fabric, from wearing out before its time. It will also protect the fabric from accidental spills where the liquid will pass through the Dacron and rest on the foam rather than on the fabric. Therefore cushion wrap is recommend on all seat cushions. It is a good idea to put wrap anywhere the fabric get used, inside arms, inside back and seat cushion.

Dacron is normally sold by the pound and comes in rolls 27 or 54 inches wide. It can be anywhere from 1' to 1 1/2" in thickness and can be split up through the middle to give a thinner material for use as a cushion wrap. A 27 ' roll weighing around 13 pounds with give you proximity 70 -80 feet of goods. What is Dacron? Now you know.

Return from Dacron page back to upholstery supply home

Return from what is Dacron page back to upholstery supplies guide home